Tel: +(44) 01561 320417
In 2018 Arbuthnott House & Garden is open for hourly guided tours 10am-2pm on 28 April, 26 May, 8 & 9 June and 7 July. 2-5pm on Sunday 29 April, Sunday 27 May, Monday 28 May, Sunday 10 June & Sunday 8 July. Tours can be booked on other days by prior arrangement.
Admission Adults £10.00.
The Garden at Arbuthnott is open in May and June 9am-5pm. Admission £2.50 (children £1.00).
Free Parking but please, no dogs
We welcome visitors to the garden and for tours of the house throughout the rest of the year by prior arrangement. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Hugh, 3rd Laird of Arbuthnott, 1240 – 1260, is believed to have begun building Arbuthnott House in c.1242. It is currently the ancestral seat of John Keith Oxley Arbuthnott, 17th Viscount and 34th Laird of Arbuthnott, Chief of the Name of Arbuthnott.
From a single-storey stone keep – the foundations of which form the lower courses of stonework in the north-facing walls – the buildings on the site gradually evolved into a castle with an upper and lower courtyard defended to the west by a towered gate-way and battling walls on the north-west corner. The southern range of buildings were composed of two similar and adjacent single storied dwelling houses with attic rooms above each one and sometimes referred to together as a fortified manor house.
Apart from domestic quarters constructed on the northern and eastern sides of the enclosed courtyards, there was no other building work until the middle of the seventeenth century when the western most section of the manor house was given an extra bedroom floor with habitable attics above.
The drawing room and to a lesser extent the two bedrooms above boast heavily moulded ceilings which are dated 1683-4 by similar seventeenth century work appearing at Kellie, Brodie and Fyvie Castle.
A major building phase occurred in 1754-6 when all the fortified buildings on the north -west area of the site were cleared away and a conventional eighteenth century Georgian front added. The front door and main staircase were added to this portion in 1820 when the present drive and its flamboyant bridge were constructed.
In 2010 the present Viscount commenced the first full-scale renovation of Arbuthnott House in over 250 years. The house is currently inhabited by the present Viscount’s son, Christopher, the Master of Arbuthnott and his family.