Tel: +(44) 01561 320417
In 2018 Arbuthnott House & Garden is open for hourly guided tours 10am-2pm on 28 April, 26 May, 8 & 9 June and 7 July. 2-5pm on Sunday 29 April, Sunday 27 May, Monday 28 May, Sunday 10 June & Sunday 8 July. Tours can be booked on other days by prior arrangement.
Admission Adults £10.00.
The Garden at Arbuthnott is open in May and June 9am-5pm. Admission £2.50 (children £1.00).
Free Parking but please, no dogs
We welcome visitors to the garden and for tours of the house throughout the rest of the year by prior arrangement. Please email email@example.com
Extensive remedial work to maintain the historic fabric of Arbuthnott House for the future was undertaken by the present Viscount of Arbuthnott in 2010.
Due to its age, the foundations of the house had never been damp-proofed. After the war years, the coal fires were no longer used extensively all over the house, as they had been, and central heating was not installed. This lack of heat for over seventy years had meant that damp, wet rot and dry rot were rampant throughout the house.
Almost every door lintel and window frame were found to be rotten and crumbling, so have been replaced.
On the exterior, the harling has been removed and replaced with layers of lime mortar that will allow the building to breathe. The removal of the harling revealed some interesting historical clues about the chronological development of the house. On the ground floor there may have been vaulted guest rooms, and the windows for these and others were later blocked up when the house became less of a ‘fort’ and more of convenient and comfortable domestic property suitable for the then Viscount.
Charles McKean, Professor of Scottish Architectural History at the University of Dundee, visited Arbuthnott House and suggested that there is evidence that the original dwelling from 1190 may have had four towers linked by a curtain wall. The foundations of two of these are still discernible, one in the lower courtyard and one within the existing house.
When the harling was removed a structural defect resulting in a bulge in the south wall became clearly visible from the outside. The defect was thought to have been caused by a relieving arch and a series of windows, dating from 1420, that were later blocked up without tying in to the rest of the stonework. To protect the house, steel re-enforcement was embedded into the structure of the wall and an extra window was inserted.
Water storage tanks, which were once housed in the attic, have been replaced with a new pressurised system installed in an outhouse. The roof has been completely stripped and re-slated and much of the roof timbers replaced and the array of down-pipes on the exterior of the house have been rationalised.
The Viscount also installed a complete central heating system using renewable biomass wood pellets as fuel, manufactured on the Arbuthnott Estate. Visit Hot Stovies