In the heart of the Scottish countryside close to the sea and within easy reach of Royal Deeside and the Eastern Highlands lies the Arbuthnott Estate, home of the Arbuthnott family for 830 years and thirty-seven generations (as at 2020)
Although there are 13th century foundations in the outbuildings, the oldest inhabited area of the house is dated 1420, to which a "twin" structure was added in 1470 constituting the present south wing of the house. In the 17th century, the "house" was altered again to become a more domestic residence rather than a fortified retreat. Between 1750 and 1820 a central "Adams" staircase, re-constituted north wing and the Georgian front were created. At this time also, a spectacular bridge,
a new drive, lodge and gates, and a fine farm steading were constructed.
There were no additions to the house or garden during the Victorian/Edwardian period.
The next "improvement" began in 2010. Dry and wet rot was eliminated. Central heating was added, all plumbing, bathrooms and electricity rewired and replaced. The exterior cement harling was replaced by a limestone render over all but the front of the house. The roof was completely re-slated and any woodwork done that was necessary. Finally the family room was moved to the south-facing wing and a new home for the library was created from a run-down area at the back of the house.
Renovation of Arbuthnott House 2010-2012 with all the furniture in storage.