top of page
Arbuthnott House Garden
The present formal garden on its very steep slope was designed, laid out and brought into life between 1685 and 1690. About 100 years later a further and more extensive landscape plan was devised in which to set the house and garden. This plan was itself contemporary with the development of the whole of the landed estate in the late XV111th century to become the classical farmland and forestry pattern of the “improving lairds”.
The cultivated gardens extend to some 5 acres and are surrounded to the east and west by a wall and to the north by the house and its outbuildings and a further length of wall. The bottom of the steep south-westerly slope of the garden is fenced by iron railings in which there are two gates. Beyond these railings lies a wide grass walk which is divided from the haugh of the river bottom lands, by a manmade mill-lade derived from the river further upstream originally to drive the castle mill and which later became a designed ornamental boundary to the bottom of the garden.
Under the guide of a professional gardener, seasonal vegetables, annual cut flowers, herbacious borders, shrubs and specimen trees with horizontal and diagonal grass walks make up a memorial visit.
For more information on visiting the Gardens, please see our "Visit" page.
bottom of page